This site is optimised to run in horisontal view. Please rotate your device before continuing.

Vikan.com

 

Reducing our CO2 use helps increase our positive global impact

Vikan is committed to minimising our CO2 impact by cutting CO2 freight emissions in half and using CO2-neutral electricity and gas. Continue reading below to see the practical, measurable efforts we’re taking.

Packing optimisation

In its Skive headquarters, Vikan has invested in a Pack Size Machine that cuts cardboard boxes into the exact size required. Previously, we had 10 standard box sizes, and we would choose the best one and use filler for any empty space. Now, we’re able to use precise box sizes, which reduces the amount of cardboard and filler we use.

Regional Distribution Hub

Establishment of regional distribution hubs

Vikan has strategically invested in regional distribution hubs, most notably in Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand. These warehouses allow for larger shipments by sea versus smaller air shipments. Our products are then transported efficiently to our customers over much shorter distances.

Reduced staff travel

We use technology like Microsoft Teams to reduce the need for our staff to travel. We also received a SOFHT award for our innovative use of Microsoft HoloLens to perform Virtual Site Surveys to help our customers without physically going to a site. Read this blog to find out about how one virtual “visit” from our team saved 2.23 tons of CO2.

Read the blog

Carbon footprinting

In 2022, Vikan participated in a project to map our greenhouse emissions from our Skive facility. This allows us to know where we’re expending the emissions so we can focus our efforts on reducing our use. We found that 98% of our emissions are within Scope 3 indirect emissions from our use of raw materials, airfreight, and machine investments. The other 2% divides equally between Scope 1 (direct), and Scope 2 (indirect from energy use) emissions. 

Progress report

Renewable Energy

Renewable energy

We are working with a local district heating provider, Skive Fjernvarme, to try to connect our Danish facility and the surrounding industrial area to the district heating grid. Skive Fjernvarme produces heat from renewable energy sources that have significantly less CO2 impact than our current use of natural gas. This project is ongoing, and we look forward to providing specific impacts as the information becomes available.